Friday, July 28, 2006

The Sky's Promise

From this morning to early afternoon, the sky turned from white to charcoal grey, the air thickened with moisture. Winds kicked up in short gusts, only to subside momentarily, like the capricious calm on the New England coast right before the North Atlantic unleashes one of her notorious nor’easters.

It rarely rains here in the Sonoran Desert, which encompasses most of southern Arizona, the southeastern corner of California, and the western half of the Mexican state of Sonora stretching south to the tip of the Baja peninsula.

Occasionally, a dramatic cloud sprinkles a few drops then scoots away leaving blue sky and unsatisfied soil.

But when a monsoon thunderstorm rolls across the hot desert floor, giant raindrops bullet down in sheets of water from black skies exploding with spidery lightning balls and thunderclaps so loud they sound like a hundred jet fighters blasting through the sound barrier at once.

The day’s foreboding weather makes me certain we will see such a storm. Then, for hours after the sky began to threaten, nothing. Even the wind gusts settled, a gentle breeze carrying the distinct aroma of the desert before a rainfall the only remaining hint of possibility.

Finally, it’s dark, the afternoon’s damp breeze replaced by a dry hot wind, an impending downpour the ghost of a lover’s promise.

12 comments:

Bernita said...

Feel like I was right there, looking at the sky with you...

Ballpoint Wren said...

Dear Elizabeth, I think we stole your rain! I'm so sorry, but I'm not giving it back!

Beautiful writing and a lovely picture, too.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Good of you to stop by, Bernita!

Bonnie, just send me Mojo and all will be forgiven.

Mindy Tarquini said...

Yep. I was certain of a downpour this morning, now the sky is clearing.

WannabeMe said...

Nice words, Elizabeth.

Plantation said...

Somebody's practicing her settings...

Rob Gregory Browne said...

Sounds to me like that somebody doesn't need practice...

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Yeah, M.G., that seems to be the story of the week, doesn't it. Then, last night it finally rained cats and dogs according to my son. And I, of course, slept through the entire affair.

Thanks Dana and Plantation for stopping by!

Rob, that's quite a complement coming from you.

Esther Avila said...

I always loved the monsoon weather from Arizona. And the lightening! You have some of the most gorgeous lightening! It used to scare me as a child - but I loved it and miss it.

Jessie said...

it seems to me that the desert holds endless small beauties and almost-rain is one of them. i feel thirsty like the earth of arizona just reading this. i wish i could send one of our puddles to you.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

September, I can understand why you miss it. Jessie, i just know you'd see the poetry! I want to invite you out just to see what you would write!

During July, Arizona is truly the land of contrasts. Hot, dry dusty earth, crazy rainl, towering thunderclouds, wild lightning...all of those things drew me back here from lush and gentle New England.

Oddly, the extreme heat index for Boston today is 109. In Phoenix, it was a balmy 103.

Global warming creates even stranger contrasts.

Stacia said...

What a cheat! I hate waiting all day for rain and not getting it.