Friday, January 19, 2007

Why I Love the Phoenix Suns

Have you watched the Phoenix Suns this season? Unless you live in Phoenix, or happened to watch the Suns play your favorite team, my guess is not.

Foolish you.

“You could be bouncing your grandkids on your lap someday and telling them that you watched the 2007 Suns,” said Bill Simmons of ESPN’s web editorial Page 2 on Jan. 17.

I thought about following this quote with a poetic analysis of the Suns...but why? None of you will believe me. You’ll pass me off as just another sports fan rabid for their hometown team. So, read Bill instead:

“…The Suns are 26-2 in their last 28 games. Here were their two losses:

Dec. 22: They lose to the Wizards in OT (144-139) in a game that Arenas tied with a 3-point play in regulation, then Nash missed a wide-open 3 that could have ended it.

Dec. 28: They lose in Dallas by two (101-99) when Nowitzki made a jumper with 0.1 seconds left.

With two reasonable breaks (Nash making the 3-pointer, Nowitzki missing the jumper), the Suns could be working on a 28-game winning streak right now. I've mentioned that to three people over the last 48 hours and all of them said the same thing: "Wait a second ... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????"

It's true. You can look it up.”


For the record, Bill is a Celtics fan, and a depressed one at that. (Have you watched the Celtics this season?) Here is why the Suns have given him reason to live for basketball:

“You never imagined that an NBA team could score 111 points a game, shoot 51 percent from the field, shoot 81 percent from the line, make 40 percent of its 3s, double as the best transition team since the Showtime Lakers and still manage to be half-decent defensively, right?

Well, it's happening.”


Mike D'Antoni, Steve Nash and this kind of playing are why I waxed poetic about the Suns at the end of the last season. My fellow fans and I saw it then. Bill sees it now, too:

“…if you care about basketball at all, if the sport has ever meant anything to you, if you remember the Magic-Bird Era fondly in any way, if you're remotely interested in watching a professional sports team peak ... then you need to follow the Suns. They're sniffing at true greatness.”

Read the rest of Bill’s article here.

And watch a Suns game. Better yet, come to Phoenix and watch one with me. Just don't complain if I paint your face purple and orange.




9 comments:

Adam Hurtubise said...

I'm with Bill Simmons. Sort of. I haven't lived, eaten and breathed basketball since 1988... or so.

The '86 Celtics: Best team ever. Where else do you get a hall of famer like Bill Walton as the sixth man?

You know, with all those fantasy sports leagues and computer programs, I'd bet we could match this years Suns against the '86 Green Team.

Celts by 38.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Celts by 38? And I thought surely you and the Saint would be the first to take me up on my offer to see a game.

I might even have forfeited the purple and orange paint.

Sigh.

Adam Hurtubise said...

Hey, if we come to Phoenix during basketball season, we're there.

Just watch out. The Saint might have a few things to teach your team. She's murder in the low post.

In fact, she can probably start for the Suns.

Anonymous said...

Heh. I used to watch the Suns a lot with my dad when I lived in Scottsdale. Fond memories of them, and of him....

So, how did you like your mug?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Elizabeth,

Please see my comment under "IN MEMORY OF MY GRANDFATHER"

Bill Mott

mai wen said...

I've never been able to get into basketball, especially the NBA, but as you've supported me through my Steelers/Vikings/NFL obsession, I shall support you!!

Goooo Suns!

P.S. Just in case you missed it:

http://maiwen18.blogspot.com/2007/01/ugandan-clouds-for-elizabeth.html

mai wen said...

Oh, and that last picture is just money, luvvv it. So hard core. For real, yo.

Rob Gregory Browne said...

I confess I'm not much of a sports fan, but I do love a good basketball game, if it's close, in the last few minutes. Nothing moves faster or does a better job of keeping you on the edge of your seat.

Ballpoint Wren said...

Elizabeth, when I was in junior high, a couple of girls threatened to beat me up in the locker room if the ref fouled them for pushing me one more time, and that was the end of MY love affair with basketball. [shudder]