Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Feeding of Teenagers

There is a theme emerging in the blogosphere this week: the feeding of teenagers.

Could it be the waning moon?

First, Bonnie Wren, of Ballpoint Wren, writes about the adventures of living with four cavernous maws.

Could it be we, the collective parents of teenagers, have all gone broke in a single week, and thus must publicly lament both our empty pantries and our pocketbooks?

Because next there’s Kait, of Kait’s Chaos , who writes about her nightly adventures in the kitchen, which sound to me more like “Nightmares in the Feeding of Teenagers.”

Clearly, the feeding of teenagers is, what they call in both storytelling and religion, a universal need.

Feeling nostalgic for my son’s voracious appetite at the ripe young age of 13, I revisited something I published several years ago:

“The first sign of a real advantage to harboring a 13-year-old, arrives in the form of the first evening feeding. He prepares this himself and carefully times it for my anticipated arrival. Today, it was roasted pepper and jalapeƱo tamales. An hour later, I served our second dinner – black bean enchiladas, rice and beans. An hour after that, I served our third dinner – this time a plate full of boiled Chinese potstickers and white rice, followed by a bag of Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Chip Cookies (yes, the entire bag) and a glass of milk.

At this point, you likely think I’m exaggerating…I’m not.”


It was then I realized that was several years ago, and this is today:

“Hi Mom, What’s for dinner?”

“How are you sweetie?”

“Great! What’s for dinner?”

“Your favorite, Spinach Pie!”

“Wonderful! When?”

“Oh, about ½ hour?”

“Is it ok if I have a little snack then?”

Two 2-qt. size bowls of mashed potatoes and an entire chicken pot pie later, we sit down to dinner. My spinach pies, filled with rich ricotta and parmesan cheese, plenty of eggs and just enough spinach to lure you into the belief that health will ensue, are his favorite dinner. Half of a single pie and a 1 lb. sweet potato later:

“What’s for dessert?”

At this point, you likely think I’m exaggerating…I’m not.

How little has changed in three years.

2 comments:

Mindy Tarquini said...

I've 9 year old twins. They're very athletic. The boy eats his share, but the girl! And she's such a skinny thing - but solid muscle. We take them for dinner. This girl packs it away. Like a lumberjack. So we get in the car, maybe stop someplace for 20 minutes, walk in our front door and she says, 'What's for dinner?'

I'm not making this up.

And she's so skinny! Size 7/8 is too short on her. Size 10/12 falls off her. I get her 'slim' size pants. They fall off of her.

I don't know where she got the genes. I gain weight thinking about food.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

M.G., Twins? Start saving now! The day they hit 12, you'll need a second mortgage!

E. Ann, boys... PLURAL? Holy empty refrigerators! How do you do it!!