Saturday, June 24, 2006

So you say you want an evolution?

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, blogs often evolve beyond their original scope. Mine has not...well not exactly.

Originally, I sought only to share stories with my family and friends. I never, ever anticipated making so many new and inspiring friends in the writing community: my very first blog friend, the hilarious Bonnie Wren whose Monday Morning Mojo is the only thing that gets me to work; the talented and funny M.G., who was kind enough to be my first blog friend to invite me to her home, and her fellow bunions, especially E. Ann Bardawill; the amazing writers Cheetarah, Buffy Holt, Jamie Ford, Jess Riley and Sandra Ruttan; Adam Hurtubise, who first inspired me to post about my grandfather; Plant at Chasing the American Dream, who I've never met but who feels like a brother to me; the talented writers and thinkers who visit Barry Eisler's engaging forum, Heart of the Matter, especially Brett Battles and David Terrenoire; the steady and generous Bonnie Calhoun; Jessie, my kindred spirit in painting, writing and coffee; the amazing artist Katharine Tyrell who inspired me to start a blog featuring just my artwork; Robert Tolone, my high school friend who first introduced me to blogging and hasn't blogged since (y'all, go get on his blog and give him trouble, will ya!); and my newest inspirations thanks to Killer Year 2007, JT Ellison and Toni McGee Causey.

So, why am I telling you this?

Three years ago, with the advice of two mentors, one a dear friend and well-respected author with several published books to his credit and the other a former publishing house editor, I tried to hammer my first book proposal into the mold of narrative military history. I desperately wanted to sell it, and they convinced me this would make it sellable. I believe they are both absolutely correct. But this book isn't, and never was, the book I craved to write. So, what have I done with my finely-honed book proposal for the past three years?

Nothing. Never started the first chapter. Never sent even a single query out.

Now, entirely through your encouragement and inspiration, I am thrilled to tell you that I am revamping my book concept. Instead of writing a narrative military history, I will instead write the book I wanted all along: a book about my family, about my grandfather and his amazing spirit, about WWII, about the Battle of the Atlantic, about heroism and patriotism and spies and secret missions, about the love affair between my grandfather and his wife, about his conflicted relationship with God, about the men who drowned in the Arctic Ocean on a frigid night in February 1942, about the men who survived and about the men who saved them. It won't be in any genre, it probably will be a tough sell - if it sells at all - but it will honor my grandfather and the people he served.

Much like my blog, this book seeks to share a story with my family and friends. I can only imagine where that story will lead.

Thank you all, so very much, for your sincere friendship, for your inspiration and for helping me find my way in the world of writing! You're all the cat's meow!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The decision to write what is in your heart, rather than what might be on the wish list of an established publisher is momentous. Have you decided how to go about it? Will you self-publish, serialize, or devise some other scheme? I'm curious because I have been troubled by the difficulties encountered by new writers, wondering why we don't seem to exploit new technology to develop small audiences and niche markets. I've only begun research on that, and have found only writing.com but am troubled by the way it works. Blogging is probably not a practical way to publish even a serialized book, so I wonder if you'll share your thoughts?

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Bill, you've certainly given me a lot to think about.

Just writing this book will be an enormous task. I want to interview more survivors from the Dorchester sinking, other authors and historians who've researched this moment in history, my relatives who remember my grandfather. I also plan on spending some time in Washington DC researching the Dorchester in the National Archives, and I may file a Freedom of Information Act request to find out more if the Archives run dry.

And then there's the writing part.

Given all that, I doubt I'll be ready to seek a publisher for another 2 or 3 years.

I agree blogging isn't the appropriate forum. This is a place to make friends, get inspired, maybe test a few ideas - but not publish. My general plan is to seek a publisher either directly or through an agent. Then, if that fails, I'll consider self-publishing. But 3 years is a long time....in the meantime, there's a lot of pixels and ink to wade through first.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Well, this is exciting! I think you will find the research alone to be a rewarding experience, personally and professionally. The writing should be even better, as you will then be able to impose your imagination on the facts, and explore their meaning to you and your audience-to-be. I hope you'll share your experiences with us here.

Sorry, I'm not in a position to offer you that seven-figure advance, but please add one to your presale tally!

Ballpoint Wren said...

Good for you, Elizabeth! I think the best books are the ones people wrote for themselves.

And really, was I your first blog friend???? This can not be true.

I do love the Bunions, though. They always make me laugh!

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Bonnie, Yes! You were definitely my first blog buddy!! I read your "Tiger's Driving Lesson" and could so relate! Without Monday Morning Mojo, I doubt I'd make it to Tuesday!!

Toni, What a great story! That's probably the best thing anyone could tell me at this point in my journey. Much luck with the Bobbi Faye series - I can't wait to read the first one. For those of you who don't know Toni, her first novel comes out next year. Be sure to visit her blog to find out more!

Mindy Tarquini said...

Ha! So you'll be Genre Neutral also?

Until some agent ships back your query with the word 'tale' circled and asks you straight out 'WHAT IS THIS?'

That's when you admit it's a narrative non-fiction and get those first 50 pages into shape to ship off.

And yeah...those Bunions...

we have a bunch of theme songs, y'know.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

I'm so glad you're back, M.G.!!

Buffy said...

Grandfathers make the best books. I can't wait to read it.

B.

Adam Hurtubise said...

Hey, Elizabeth, sign me up for three copies when your book is ready.

I'll one and I have a couple of friends who'll want gifts.

Glad you're doing it your way.

Adam

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Adam and Buffy, you're the best! The same back atcha!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Congrats Elizabeth!

I've grappled with the whole genre thing, and finally an author I respected just told me "who cares, do your thing, don't fake something else just to fit an obvious genre."

The perfect advice. I stopped trying to fit in, and now my queries are hitting left and right.

Personally, I love historical fiction--or basically people stories in a historical setting.

It's the kind of thing I'd read.

Making A Mark said...

Elizabeth - wow and thanks! :)

Isn't blogging wonderful? I've seen so many people grow and blossom through this medium and the very extended buddy group that can develop for a lot of people who comment. It's great to see that you've found your new way forward - and I look forward to hearing how th project progresses. Sounds great to me!

Anonymous said...

Go for it, Elizabeth!

I heard Hugh Hewitt on the radio last week talking to the author of "Miracles on the Water" (http://hughhewitt.com/archives/2006/06/18-week/index.php#a002514). The author originally started researching the story of the torpedoing of the City of Benares after learning that an uncle was one of the few survivors. After hearing the interview and reading more about the book I ordered it from my library. It appears the book is beginning to get a lot of attention. Perhaps your story will have a similar result. I'll watch for updates. Good luck!

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Jamie, it's so great to hear from you that you like people stories in historical settings. You nailed it. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I don't write fiction, though. Not that I've anything against fiction - I love reading the work of authors like you! I've personally never run out of material in real life, hence I've had no reason to write it.

You're so sweet to stop by this writing blog, Katherine! For those of you that don't know her, Katherine has an excellent artist blog, well worth checking out!

Nightwriter, thanks so much for the great link. I can't wait to check out this book! I have a feeling it's right up my alley!

Cheetarah1980 said...

Now that's what's up. It's obvious that you're passionate about your subject matter which is the first step in writing an excellent piece. I look forward to my autographed copy.

P.S. You've inspired me to continue working on my book.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Cheetarah, you are such a great writer and I can't wait to read your book! I'll be the first in line!