Thursday, May 18, 2006

A moment of literary criticism and The Da Vinci Code.

Like many people, I wondered for years what the fuss about The Da Vinci Code could possibly be. After all, isn't this a work of fiction? Who cares if it's a tad inaccurate if people think it's a fun read? And why, I often asked, are people taking this fictional account SO seriously?

After following various posts on Ben Witherington's site about The Da Vinci Code, and, perhaps more importantly, after being challenged by the teens in the youth groups I work with at my church, I finally read the book.

And now I get it. This book raised the hairs on the back of my neck, and not because of its theology or its vehement anti-Catholicism - though both certainly got my attention - but because of the deceitful game I believe this work plays with a well-established and respected form of literature. Since many writers visit this blog, I'd like to pause from humor for a moment and start a conversation about The Da Vinci Code not on its theological terms, but on its literary terms.

Now, I like a good adventure tale as much as anyone. Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler...bring 'em on. And, much like these excellent adventure authors, Dan Brown paces his tale brilliantly, peppering it at well-chosen moments with convincing "historical" background.

Plot twist after plot twist kept me hanging by my fingernails, forcing me to suffer through reams of "historical" background before I could find out what happens at the next plot twist. But unlike most adventure novels, it wasn't the plot twists that raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

I believe that the debate about The Da Vinci Code should not first be a debate about theology, but instead a debate about how we define fact and fiction. Historical fiction, by every definition I've ever heard, sets a fictional story inside well-researched and accurately presented history. The Da Vinci Code, rampant in historical inaccuracy,* hardly lives up to this genre. And yet, book review after book review refers to The Da Vinci Code as "historical fiction," which not only belittles the hard-working authors who so carefully pen their tales amid real historical fact, but lends credibility to The Da Vinci Code by its association with this genre.

While we could easily write The Da Vinci Code off as pure fiction, Brown cleverly ekes out just enough fact to make his "historical" background appear accurate and, more cleverly, convinces many of his readers that he is, indeed, portraying well-researched historical fact. In other words, The Da Vinci Code is written as though it were a card-carrying member of the genre of historical fiction making those reams of historical background believable to the unsuspecting reader.

And if you think for a second that The Da Vinci Code is not believable, then please join me at our next teen group discussion at St. Patrick's here in Scottsdale, Arizona. You will meet a generation of kids from our public high schools who are reading The Da Vinci Code as an example of historical fiction, and they believe it to be an accurate rendition of historical fact, not fiction.

That's what raises the hair on the back of my neck.


*The historical inaccuracies in The Da Vinci Code are well-documented. For more information, see:
- The Da Vinci Code's Top Ten Errors – Novopress
- Cracking The Da Vinci Code - CBS2 Chicago
- Hollywood Heresy - The New Yorker
- The Truth Behind The Da Vinci Code by Richard Abanes

*****************

Since writing this post, a number of people have responded with some excellent resources:

My brother recommends Janet Batchler's blog. Blatcher writes about the power of fiction to influence a society's beliefs. See her excellent post on The Da Vinci Code at The Power of presupposition, Part 2.

Bonnie Wren provided in-depth documentation of the historical inaccuracies from various Catholic sources - and it is Catholicism that is most under attack in this book:

Dismantling The Da Vinci Code, by Sandra Miesel

Da Duh Vinci Code, also by Sandra Miesel

Interpreting the Da Vinci Code: Perspectives from a Church Historian, by Amanda D. Quantz

And last, Paul Boyer recommends an extensive explication at The Da Vinci Opportunity, Section 1: How the Popularity of The Da Vinci Code Book
and Movie Can Be Helpful to Christians and Others
, by Mark Roberts


17 comments:

Plantation said...

Haven't read the book so I can't pass judgment.

Adam Hurtubise said...

Absolutely terrific post, Elizabeth.

I'm Catholic. I read the book. I read it as fiction. I didn't see much truth to it.

I thought it was a good thriller, not great. Wonderful story, by which I mean, fast-paced and kept me wanting more. Poorly written.

It is absolutely NOT historical fiction. You're right. It takes place in the "present," for one thing, so it's outside the genre right at the start... and then... there are things just asserted as "facts."

I enjoyed the book, but not as a historical treatise; not as theology... I liked the story, not the writing, and am very, very ambivalent about the movie.

Great post.

Adam

Erik Ivan James said...

Great post. I've just bought it to start reading next week while on a business trip. Thanks for the head's-up.

Esther Avila said...

I enjoyed the book and finished it in two days - I simply could not put it down.

My father was a missionary and my husband and I were once youth ministers, so I do read such books with extra caution.

Yes, there were some things that were a bit frustrating, but I didn't take the story literally -- I reminded myself that it was fiction -- and then I was fine with it.

I can't wait to see the movie. Maybe tonight?

Elizabeth Krecker said...

It really is a gripping read isn't it! And I agree with you, Adam, while it's gripping, it's not very well written. Too much "tell" and not enough "show." Never mind the predictable characters. Esther, your comments sound like good news to me, I hope a lot of people are like you and read the book as fiction. Plant and Erik, you'll have fun when you read it - it's the perfect airplane book!

It's too bad the teens find it so believable.

McKreck said...

One of the reason's why it is said that youth is wasted on the young is that the young tend belive the first thing they hear. I think the answer is to show them the second and the third thing.

At least for reviews, the best comment I've read about the Da Vinci Code is this, from Roger Ebert:

"Both [the book and the movie] contain accusations against the Catholic Church and its order of Opus Dei that would be scandalous if anyone of sound mind could possibly entertain them. I know there are people who believe Brown's fantasies about the Holy Grail, the descendants of Jesus, the Knights Templar, Opus Dei and the true story of Mary Magdalene. This has the advantage of distracting them from the theory that the Pentagon was not hit by an airplane."

Elizabeth Krecker said...

God bless Roger Ebert!

Ballpoint Wren said...

Great subject, Elizabeth!

When I read it, all the boo boos bothered me mainly because Brown claimed his book was meticulously researched. I can handle alternative histories, but Brown was claiming it was all based in fact and he couldn't even get the basic facts right.

The guy who invented the Priory of Scion admitted it was a scam, for instance, which deflates a HUGE part of the book. So I didn't like it because any kind of playing loose with the facts to bolster an opinion bothers me, Christian theme or not. I refused to see Oliver Stone's movie about Nixon, too, because Stone made stuff up in it, even though I believe Nixon was a crook.

However, I am dismayed by all the protests against the Da Vinci movie and worry it may be prevented from being shown in certain markets. When I lived in Dallas, I couldn't see The Last Temptation of Christ because Blockbuster was convinced by Christian activists not to show it. That was wrong.

Christians (and I am a Christian) should use this movie as an opportunity to teach rather than condemn. Rather than spending all that energy making protest signs and picketing, just focus on getting the facts out there where everyone can easily find them. Those articles you posted were a good start.

Here are some more:
Dismantling The Da Vinci Code, by Sandra Miesel

Da Duh Vinci Code, also by Sandra Miesel

Interpreting the Da Vinci Code: Perspectives from a Church Historian by Amanda D. Quantz

Mindy Tarquini said...

Poorly written is one way to describe it.

Horribly written is another.

Will I see the movie?

Why? That's getting panned. I'll stick to the History Channel's documentaries on how screwed up Brown's historical 'facts' are. Those are free.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Thanks for the great links, Bonnie. In spite of their many faults, the book and movie have been one of the best things to happen to Christianity because the reaction to both has cast a powerful spotlight on the excellent work of generations of textual scholars and historians who have carefully researched and documented the genesis of the Bible and the early history of the Church. I agree, it would be a travesty if the movie was banned because that would end the dialogue.

Only you, M.G., could summarize the whole affair so succinctly. Horribly written? Ok, I was being generous - after all, I really was hanging by my fingernails. But the character development? "She was moving down the hallway with long, fluid strides...a haunting certainty to her gait." Puhleeaaase!

Cheetarah1980 said...

I couldn't put the book down. As a suspense author, Dan Brown is great. Is he a literary genius, not so much. But I take it for what it is.

It's true the book does have this historical slant to it that would make those who don't know history believe it to be true. I saw a lot of people getting all happy cause "the truth" had finally been told. The "history" is inaccurate at best. I don't want to get into all the untruths, falsifications, and misrepresentations of the academically accepted facts.

I saw the movie last night. The book was better. Ian McKlellan was great!

P.S. Elizabeth, if you're rooting for a Pistons vs. Suns finals, you're rooting for the Sun to set. DEEETROIT BASKET-BAAALLLLL!!! But on the real, I do hope the Suns get by the Clippers. Don't let your son change the channel during Game 7. And if he tries, then you've gotta take him down.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I haven't read the book, but, well, I explained it at length on my blog post yesterday.

But I believe everyone has the right to express their opinion on it. While I wish that people would stop complaining about the church criticizing the book and movie, and that the church would stop talking about it just so I wouldn't have to hear about it, well, it's purely selfish. Because I don't want to hear about it. I've never read the book, I'm not interested in it, and I'll never see the movie.

But I do appreciate what you're saying here, because there are a lot of people who have negative feelings about it, and what baffles me is people undermining their right to express that opinion.

Freedom of speech. And from what I've heard, Dan Brown has asserted the conspiracy is true. If that's the case, he's invited the criticism.

Anonymous said...

It's a page-turner, but definitely not history. The movie's gonna tank, if only because Tom Hanks looks dorky in that mullet.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Thanks for stopping by Cheetarah, it's nice to hear the movie has it's good points - I've always liked Ian McKlellan.

Sandra, I can see why the fuss is tiring. That's another reason why i finally read the darn thing. I wanted to see what the fuss was about. "Much Ado about Nothing" comes to mind ;-) (if you know Shakespeare, you'll catch my joke.)

Jamie, Tom Hanks in a mullett? That I've got to see!

Gary, very sweet of you to stop by. Good to hear from you and I hope you and your family are all doing well!

Cheetarah1980 said...

Elizabeth, you better be watching the game right now. Your boys need you.

Making A Mark said...

Hi Elizabeth - what an interesting post. I read the Da Vinci Code whilw on holiday in France a coupleof years ago - and for it was the prefect holiday book. However, subsequently, I got annoyed by exactly the same thing so thank you for posting and taking a stance on this. However it is possible to get even more annoyed..........at the interminable number of programmes on the television banging on about the book/film/the hye/the kickback etc etc etc And after the annoyance comes The Yawn!

Bernita said...

Your objection is well taken, Elizabeth.
Excellent post.