Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Sounds of Silence

Setting.

In a two-minute conversation with Jim Fusilli at Thrillerfest, my writing changed forever. “Setting will anchor your story,” he said.

All I can think about now is setting.

Yesterday, Toni McGee Causey posted a beautiful essay about her life growing up in Cajun Louisiana. Setting.

And this morning, Bill Cameron responded by posting a poignant story about his nomadic life growing up following his mother’s inclinations. Setting.

But, my experience of my surroundings will never be the same as it was when I was growing up. Not since February of last year, when I suddenly and inexplicably lost most of the hearing in my left ear to have it replaced by a constant ringing sound.

Go find a piano and hit high “G.” Now imagine that note as a ringing tone in your ear. Constant. Night or day. 24/7. 365.

And medical science has no idea why, nor any clue how to fix it.

Deafness, even partial deafness, is an isolating experience. I listen to jokes, but miss a lot of punch lines. When more than two people talk at once, I can’t hear a word anyone is saying, making conversations with two or more a challenge. And at large tables of people having dinner together, I can only comfortably converse with one or two people on my right, since I can’t hear much of what anyone else is saying. Unless they shout. And that just annoys everyone.

I've never liked a lot of attention, so I don't usually tell people lest I make them feel they have to treat me like a princess. Instead, I'd rather feel stupid. And I often do. Because I know I'm missing important points in conversations.

And once in a while, I'll meet someone with a voice I simply can’t hear at all. Then I'm brave, I straighten my shoulders and take a deep breath, I boldly tell them I have a hearing problem and what it is and what it means. But people don't really understand. So, after saying "huh?" a hundred times, I'll give up and smile and nod and hope they don’t ask me something that will reveal I haven’t heard a single word they’ve said. I don't want people to think I'm not interested. I am. I just can't hear so much.

I long at times for what I once had, but I still have much to be grateful for. I have two friends who are completely deaf. They grew up deaf and know nothing else and are happily married to each other in their own silent world. They've never heard the sounds I’ve heard and they never will and they don't care. They don't think they are missing anything at all.

The world is rich with sound, and the story of sound plays an integral role in my strongest memories of the places I’ve lived.

Setting again. All i can think about right now is setting.

The sound of the ocean waves crashing rhythmically against the beaches of Long Island Sound, playing in the cold water until our lips turn blue, salt air tickling my nostrils, cool breezes against our damp skin, the setting sun turning the water a cool grey-pink. Setting.

The constant hum of a busy urban city punctuated by sirens, honking cars and the distant shouts of pedestrians, the gritty scent of New York City’s air, the dark that's never really dark because there are so many lights…I always think of New York City first at night. Setting.

The pure silence of the Arizona desert in the ‘70s, before everyone on earth started moving here. My friends and I would ride our horses out a few miles and stop in the middle of nowhere and marvel that we could hear nothing. Nothing but the sound of our horses breathing and the warm dry wind in our hair. No planes. No cars. No hum of heaters or air conditioners or anything else from the modern world. And in the middle of a hot desert day, not even a bird. Nothing.

And that is what I miss.

I still hear birds and crickets and frogs. I still hear ocean waves. I can hear the hum of a city, blues music on the radio, and if I listen really hard and overcome my fear of calling attention to myself, I can still hear a lot of what people say.

But never again will I hear the sounds of silence.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Touched by that revelation.

Brett Battles said...

If the descriptions of settings you wrote in this post are any indication, you're going to have no problem drawing people into your stories.

And I applaud you being unafriad to reveal this to everyone.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

It takes a lot of bravery to reveal something so personal in a public forum. You are to be commended. Not only for that but your skill in the telling.

Buffy said...

What an excellent piece. I think you have the 'setting' thing down.

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I know the frustration that comes with doctors telling you 'we don't know why'.

Anonymous said...

A sad story, very nicely told in human terms. Is it, medically, tinnitus? Do you feel that your ability to cope with it is improving in general? In particular, I feel that it is, because being able to state it means that others can adjust as you do to reduce the effect. Do you think that your experience will allow you to create stories or characters based on a different ability to perceive, thus a different perception? Surely it will inform your writing with a personal appreciation for disability in general. I am sorry for you, yet you are clearly a woman who can turn circumstance to her advantage and in doing so teach us all. Your attitude amplifies your talent. Thank you for that, too.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Amra, thank you so much for your encouragement. I don't think that people don't try to help me, it's just really hard for people to understand hearing loss. There aren't visible signs, like a missing arm or a llimp or a wheelchair to alert people. So it's easy not to understand.

Tom, thank you.

Thank you for your thoughts, Brett. Since you are one of few who already knew, I'm especially thankful for your understanding.

Stephen, you and Brett always know just what to say.

Good heavens, Buffy and everyone, please don't feel sorry for me. That's not what I intended when I wrote this. In fact, please don't ever feel sorry for anyone with a disability. That's not what we want. We just hope that people will understand, and maybe help us out if we need it.

And I want to publicly say that I couldn't have had a a more skilled and compassionate physician treat me. If there was a way to bring my hearing back, Dr. Ben Leff would have found it. Unfortunately, very little is known about the ear in general, and about my type of hearing loss in particular. It's not for a lack of effort, but because of the complications of reseaching the ear. After all, what's a researcher to do - cut the brains of people like me open to take a peek?

Bill, you're spot on correct that this has changed my perception of the world. For one, I have a much deeper and richer empathy towards people who have any kind of handicap, particularly deafness. There are some advantages: while I can't hear speech well, I hear very high pitches - like that cell phone ring parents aren't supposed to be able to hear (hee, hee - don't tell my son!). I'm also especially attuned to touch and smell and visual signals, like body language and the looks on people's faces, since I can't read people's moods by the pitch of their voice as well as I used to.

Mindy Tarquini said...

ADD produces its own type of deafness, not physical, but essential. in order to focus on one thing, all else has to fall away, or the ability to focus at all disappears and every sound, every voice, every movement joins an incomprehensible cacaphony.

As evidenced by this post, the interesting thing about your handicap is how much you perceive outside of what you are missing. I wouldn't call it a fair tradeoff, just a tradeoff. It's not the deficit that matters, but how one chooses to work within the deficit's boundaries.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

You're so right, M.G. And I also have something very special, something many people with hearing disabilities don't have, my memories.

angie said...

Ya know, E., you just rock. 2 times. And that's part of why you're now "the very famous Elizabeth Kreckler." 'Cause you rock. Thanks for sharing with the greater world & happy writing!

Elizabeth Krecker said...

You're so dear Angie!! And I really do have so much to be grateful for...read this essay about autism by Tamar Bihari courtesy of Toni McGee Causey.

There's beauty in all of our troubles. That's the real lesson here.

Chris Everheart said...

We don't mind treating you like a princess, E. It's easy to do.

My wife has total hearing loss on the left due to brain surgery 5 years ago and most people in my family start losing their hearing young (regardless of how many Soul Asylum concerts they attended) so we're right there with you.

As for the people whose voice you can't hear at all. Just nod and smile. You're pretty enough to get away with it.

And here's my damn email address, dammit: chriseverheart@earthlink.net (it's a powerful tool. use it for good, not for evil)

Plantation said...

I talk soft so you better remind me when we meet, OK? Promise? Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to meet. I'm arriving Wednesday. What day is good for you?

Bill Cameron said...

I have a friend who, like you Elizabeth, has partial deafness, though in both ears. Her writing is rich with aroma. Every scene has a scent. Dialog is spare, and staccato. You rarely hear sounds in her scenes that aren't sharp and loud. When we talked about it, she admitted that she'd never been a particularly visual person, and when her hearing started to go, she began to focus on her nose. Her writing is reeks of aroma, and it's amazing.

As M.G. says, it's a tradeoff, and not necessarily a good one. You've lost something, but in your conscious reflection on your loss, you've gained something else. This blog entry is a wonderful expression of that. Our writing is often a reflection of our personal filters. It might be where we grew up, or the way we see color, or a high G in our left ear. But not just the experience, but the way we think about the experience.

You've lost the sounds of silence, and I'm sorry for your loss. But your writing is beautiful.

Ballpoint Wren said...

Dear Elizabeth! I feel I am close behind you. I find it difficult to watch movies at home without subtitles.

And a friend of mine only five years older than I am just got hearing aids! You are not alone as I think many of our generation are losing their hearing sooner rather than later.

What would drive me nuts is the constant ringing.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Toni and Teacher, you're both so sweet, thank you!

Bonnie, the scary part is that my hearing loss isn't associated with aging. It came on, literally, overnight. Will it happen to my other ear? Or worse, will aging and too many rock concerts cause me to prematurely lose what little hearing I have left? I have no answers.

Which leads me to your inspiring thoughts, Bill. Both my sense of touch and my perception of color have both become keener. It will be interesting to see how this influences both my writing and painting.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, your warmth and your inspiration!

Adam Hurtubise said...

Brett Battles said:

"If the descriptions of settings you wrote in this post are any indication, you're going to have no problem drawing people into your stories.

And I applaud you being unafriad to reveal this to everyone."

Stephen Blackmoore said:

"It takes a lot of bravery to reveal something so personal in a public forum. You are to be commended. Not only for that but your skill in the telling."

I can't say it any better, so I'll just add an Amen.

Adam

Rob Gregory Browne said...

Elizabeth, I had no idea you suffered hearing loss. I can't even imagine how tough it must have been for you at Thrillerfest with all of us talking at once.

I don't have hearing loss, but I do suffer from constantly plugged ears, which makes conversation in crowds difficult for me at times. If you see me in a corner pinching my nose -- a disgusting site for sure -- I'm simply trying to clear the passages.

But, again, I can't even imagine what you must go through.

I had a teacher once who told us he always had a ringing sound in his ears. It was brought on by a car accident. He could still hear, but the ringing was constant and it was a great source of irritation for him.

Anyway, feel free to say "huh?" as often as you like. You're such a lovely person. I'd hate for you to feel excluded.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Adam, thank you.

Rob, thank you for making me feel so comfortable around you.

And to everyone, thank you so very much for all of your kind thoughts and support. The lesson here to all of you is to not fear coming forward with your weakness and flaws...if I had any idea you would all be so understanding, I would have told you a long time ago. Your kindness fills me.

Cheetarah1980 said...

I can't imagine what it's like to have to hear a constant ringing in my ear. You handle it all with such grace and dignity and all that other good stuff. I don't know you personally, but from what I can tell from your blog, you haven't let the hearing loss diminish your quality of life.

mai wen said...

I don't know if I have a hearing issue or if this is normal, but while I have supposidly really good hearing (during a hearing test I heard a sound that the tester hit by accident and that I shouldn't have heard, I guess it's a higher frequency then what humans should hear) but I have a Really hard time deciphering what people are saying. I'll hear the sounds come out of their mouth, but it doesn't make sense to me and they mine as well be saying "blah blah blah" because for some reason I can't understand what they're saying. This happens A LOT with me and I've gotten used to pretending that I understand what people are saying to curb the embarrassment of constantly asking people to repeat themselves. It is frustrating and I don't know why I have this issue! So I can understand feeling left out of conversations and feeling foolish for not knowing what's going on. I don't even know how I'd explain my problem to people even if I wanted. Uh, sorry, I can hear you but it just sounds like you're speaking another language to me. Hmm, maybe not. Thanks for sharing your story with us, it's very touching and thought provoking.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

You're right Cheetarah...except for one thing. I genuinely fear silence; the racket in my ear can be a bit overwhelming when there's no other noise to distract me. I hope one day I can over come that.

Mai Wen, I think the lesson from this post is twofold: 1) There's a lot of people with hearing issues who are afraid to say anything, and 2) There's nothing to be afraid of because people are so incredibly understanding.

Anil P said...

Sounds will grow within where they're remembered like you do.

Shades of Silence

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Such a beautiful thought, Anil. Thank you.