Monday, July 03, 2006

Writing paradise

The monsoons have come to Phoenix: towering thunder clouds and psychedelic sunsets, dust storms and distant lightning, and thunderclaps so loud I bolted out of bed at 2:30 a.m. last night wondering who dropped the bombs. Somehow, our wild weather seems like the perfect way to end the first ever conference of the International Thriler Writers, Thrillerfest 2006.

I've attended all kinds of conferences in my various and sundry professional positions, but never, EVER, have I attended one where the camaraderie between attendees was so instant and complete; never, EVER, have I talked so much, laughed so much and slept so little; never, EVER, have I met so many industry stars who were so eager to lend a hand to newbies like me; never, EVER, have I attended a closing conference lunch with so many red-rimmed eyes and gigantic smiles; and never, EVER, have I left so fully and completely inspired on so many levels.

I attended because it was cheap, set in my hometown of Phoenix and I knew I'd get to meet Clive Cussler. I left with 350 new best friends and a brain so full of ideas it's about to explode.

To the founders of the International Thriler Writers and the intrepid organizers of Thrillerfest 2006, a giant thank you!!

15 comments:

Rob Gregory Browne said...

I think I can safely say that EVERYONE had a great time -- and recovery will be a long, slow process.

It was great meeting you.

Brett Battles said...

When I woke up this morning, my first instinct was to reach for my schedule and see which panel I needed to run to. Turns out the only panel I had listed for the day was sit on my back porch and try to write...I miss the ThrillerFest, though another couple of days probably would have killed me.

I second Rob's note, it was great to meet you. :)

Sandra Ruttan said...

Glad to hear everyone had such a great time. Hopefully, next time, I'll get to meet you Elizabeth!

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Rob, it was terrific meeting you. Can you believe we all stayed up to 2:30 a.m. yakking....after getting, what, 5 hours sleep in the previous three days?

And, Brett, words can't describe how much I enjoyed meeting you!

Sandra? All I can say is that I really, truly wish you were there! You would have sooooo enjoyed the conference, and I would have sooooo enjoyed meeting you!!

For those of you who don't know Brett, Rob and Sandra, all three authors are coming out with their first books next year. Visit Killer Year 2007 to find out more!

Plantation said...

Wow, congrats to all for your success. I hope some of it rubs off on me.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

It was great meeting you in person, Elizabeth. Thanks for not pressing charges. I don't know if I actually did anything, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Plant, where were you? Oh...that's right, I forgot...you were in Brussels. Or was it Paris? We should all be so lucky!

Stephen, don't worry...it will stay our little secret. ;-)

Allison Brennan said...

Ditto Elizabeth!!! Unlike Rob, I've already recovered . . . but I'm not a cheap drunk :)

Seriously, I'm so motivated to write but I can't even touch my manuscript until tomorrow because we have a 4th of July party we have every year. Five families with 19 kids between us. Jump house, a couple slip and slides, beer, and lots of food . . .

Anonymous said...

Thrillerfest was incredible. It's good to be home, but it's also sad to be away from all the smart, funny people I met. FYI: I linked your blog on mine.

No comment on what I may or may not have seen Stephen Blackmore do... At any time...:)

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Allison and Derek, it warms my heart to see your pictures here on my little blog!

Cheetarah1980 said...

you sound rejuvenated and inspired. Isn't it wonderful to be around people who love to do what you love?

Richard Cooper said...

Elizabeth,
It was a spectacular conference--you summed up many feelings. It was great meeting you, and I am linkin your blog to mine at http://satorikick.com if that's okay! I met lots of authors willing to be interviewed and it's going to to be a great year--ThrillerFest was such a kick!
Best,
Richard Cooper

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Cheetarah, you'll have to join us next year, Thrillerfest will be in New York!!

Toni, it was FABULOUS meeting you, too! You are such a great story teller! Richard, welcome aboard! Can't wait to check out sartorikick!

Bill Cameron said...

Clearly this is one of those events that will be remembered for years, and I can see (and hear) that you were one of its highlights, Elizabeth. I'm with Sandra, wishing I coulda been there. Well, next spring I'll be coming to Phoenix to visit family (they keep saying, no, don't come now -- too hot). Be fun to meetcha fer coffee!

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Be great to meet you, too, Bill!!